MendMeShop Treatment Instructions for Ankle Injuries
Following these treatment instructions for your MendMeShop therapeutic devices will guide you to use them correctly and help to reduce your pain and heal your ankle properly.
The treatment protocols are recommended to achieve optimal results. However, if you are only able to fulfill part of the daily treatment schedule you will still see results; your healing time may just take a little longer.
All treatment protocol outlined below is a guideline only and not intended to replace a health care professional’s advice.
The treatment protocol outlined below is the general recommendation for soft tissue injuries; however, everyone reacts to different kinds of treatment in different ways. You may realize that three ultrasound treatments are too much and instead choose to do it twice a day. Also, how much time you have throughout the day will determine your healing schedule. When combining treatments for example, a morning and evening treatment of Blood Flow Stimulation Therapy™ is recommended. However, if time in your morning schedule does not permit, similar results can be achieved in lesser time by having a 5-15 minute ultrasound treatment. You can then incorporate an Inferno Wrap™ treatment later in the day (i.e. after work), when you have more time.
Freezie Wrap™ Advanced Cold Compression Treatment Instructions
MendMeShop Ultrasound Treatment Instructions
Inferno Wrap™ Treatment Instructions
Combined Treatment Protocol - Freezie Wrap™, Ultrasound, Inferno Wrap™
MendMeShop Splints Treatment Instructions
Freezie Wrap ™ Advanced Cold Compression Treatment
In the case of both chronic pain and acute related injuries, we recommend you use your Freezie Wrap after flare ups or physical exertion to reduce any resulting pain and inflammation. Your cold compression wrap can be used any time throughout the day for an immediate response to pain, inflammation and swelling. Follow these instructions for optimal usage:
- To achieve optimum icing effect, place the gel pack in the freezer and allow to cool completely (approximately 1 hour. Note: Gel packs will not freeze solid at frozen temperatures. Gel packs can be stored in the freezer so they are ready for immediate use.
- Remove the gel pack from the freezer and place it back in the Freezie Wrap.
- Place the frozen wrap around your ankle being sure to position the gel pack over the most inflamed or painful area wherever possible.
- Fasten the wrap to itself using the Velcro. It is important that you secure the wrap as tightly as is comfortable to enjoy the maximum benefits of compression therapy.
- Rest during your treatment with your ankle raised or resting on a stable surface, if possible to maximize R.I.C.E therapy (that is Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation) for optimal treatment.
- Wear your wrap for 15 – 20 minutes depending on the treatment area. For areas with less fat, skin or muscle decrease treatment time to 10 minutes. Keeping the wrap on any longer may result in skin irritation and provides no additional therapeutic benefit.
- Remove the wrap and return the gel pack to the freezer for future use.
- Allow the area to return to normal body temperature (at least 60 minutes) before applying Ultrasound or Blood Flow Stimulation Therapy™ treatments.
MendMeShop Ultrasound Treatment
Refer to the Ultrasound Treatment Guide to help you determine the intensity level and length of treatment for best results. Initially, for maximum benefit, the protocol is to incorporate 3 treatments into your daily schedule for the first two weeks, followed in the third week with 3 treatments a day - every other day. During week four, take a break from therapy and allow your body to rest and you can evaluate your response to the treatment you have received. Week 5, begin the 4 week plan again.
To use your MendMeShop Ultrasound read the following instructions carefully:
- Plug the power adapter into a power outlet/wall socket.
- Place a sufficient amount of conductive gel on the skin where you intend to apply the treatment, generally about 2 to 3 inches around, although this will vary depending on size of treatment area.
- Press the "timer" button (located on the handle of the unit) once to turn the unit on. The unit will now operate for 5 minutes at a low intensity as indicated by a red LED light by the "L" mark and the "5" mark on the handle.
- To alter the treatment time:
Press the "timer" button again to change the treatment time from 5 minutes to 10 minutes.
Press the "timer" button again to change the treatment time from 10 minutes to 15 minutes.
Once treatment time is set at 15 minutes, pressing the "timer" button again will turn the unit off. To turn the unit on again, push the "timer" button once more.
Note: Please refer to the Treatment Guide to determine the correct treatment time for your specific condition.
- To alter the operating intensity:
Press the "mode" buttons to cycle through the low, medium and high operating intensities.
Note: Please refer to the Treatment Guide to determine the correct operating intensity for your specific condition.
Note: If you are treating an area directly over the spine, press the "pulse" button once. This will activate the "intermittent pulse" mode - a safer treatment setting for this area.
- Place the transducer head onto the area you intend to treat ensuring there is enough gel to create a seal between the transducer head and skin.
- Move the device in small circles over the treatment area; keep the unit in constant motion and avoid lifting or tilting the head away from the skin. If you notice the area heating up, apply more gel and keep the device moving more quickly. You may notice more heat near bony areas.
- To pause during use, please turn off the unit, do not continue running the device if it is not in contact with the skin.
- When the time you set has expired, the unit will turn off automatically.
- To manually turn off the device, press the "timer" button until it runs through the 3 time settings and shuts off.
- Unplug the device from the wall socket. Do not leave plugged in.
- Wipe the treatment area and transducer head with a clean cloth or towel and store the unit in its protective box in a clean, dry, climate-controlled environment.
Inferno Wrap Treatment™ - Blood Flow Simulation Therapy™
To get the most from your Inferno Wrap, use the device 2-4 times per day, for 30-45 minutes periods. Follow these instructions for optimal usage of your Inferno Wrap:
- Attach the temperature controller to the adapter provided; then attach the temperature controller to the wire coming from the wrap.
- Plug the adapter into your wall socket (120vac – North American power).
- Place the device so that the Energy Web™ is directly around the area you will be treating.
- Wrap the device tightly, yet comfortably around your body and fasten the Velcro end to the wrap.
- Press the power button once; this is the button on the temperature control with the red icon.
- This will default the device to the lowest power setting (1). Press the button two more times to raise the temperature to the highest heat setting (3); the number of lights lit will increase as the temperature is raised.
- Keep the device on high setting 3 for 5 minutes to heat up the Energy Web™.
- After 5 minutes, adjust the heat to a lower temperature according to your comfort level.
- After your treatment is over (ideally a total of 30-45 minutes), press the power button until no lights are lit next to the power settings and unplug the device from the wall socket.
As your injury heals and the pain subsides, you will reduce the number of treatments per day. We suggest a treatment first thing each morning, to relax the damaged tissue and increase blood flow. A treatment before going to bed again will relax the area.
In the case of chronic conditions and inflammation, it is best to limit use to once a day only.
Leave 2-3 hours in between treatments and be sure that the knee is at body temperature before beginning treatment.
Do not use any topical ointment on the treatment area up to 1 hour prior to treatment.
Combined Treatment Protocol
When used as individual treatment devices, you will receive pain relief and healing from all our MendMeShop products. However, the combination of Cold Compression Therapy, Ultrasound and Blood Flow Stimulation Therapy™ treatments will give you the best chance to recover from the nagging soft tissue injuries that negatively affect your life.
How to Combine Treatments
When you experience a flare up of chronic pain or immediately after (and up to 72 hours following) a common soft tissue injury, doctors recommend using your Cold Compression Wrap for R.I.C.E. This acronym stands for REST, ICE, COMPRESSION, and ELEVATION. Cold Compression should also be applied when any re-injury or further inflammation occurs during the healing process. Your Cold Compression Wrap provides you with the optimum device to treat with COMPRESSION and ICE and you are able to provide the REST and ELEVATION.
The next step is to use Ultrasound to reduce pain, inflammation and the amount of scar tissue forming. At this point in the healing process, combining Ultrasound with Inferno Wrap™ treatments is recommended for optimal results. Combining 3 Ultrasound treatments with 2 Inferno Wrap™ treatments each day for the first 2 weeks will reduce pain and scar tissue and kick start the healing process. During the third week, Ultrasound treatments are reduced to 3 times a day, every other day. Inferno Wrap™ treatments may also be reduced to 1 per day depending on your body's reaction to the treatments. Finally in the fourth week of treatment, do not use Ultrasound but rather allow your body to rest. However, Inferno Wrap™ treatments may continue.
Remember, this is only a guideline for general soft tissue injuries and your treatment schedule will depend on the location and severity of the injury as well as the time you have available for treatment. Please call our customer advisors if you have any questions.
An Inferno Wrap™ treatment also beneficial for warm up before activity and during the cool down period following activity once your injury is healed and no longer inflamed.
Sample Daily Treatment Schedule
Once the initial inflammation has been reduced with your Cold Compression Wrap a treatment schedule similar to the one outlined below should be followed. (This is a sample only and adjustments can be made to suit your individual schedule.) As healing progresses, fewer treatments are necessary. Refer to the treatment guides provided with your products for further details or call our customer advisors. Pay attention to how your body is responding to the treatments, it can be your best guide.
7 am - Inferno Wrap™ treatment (30-45 minutes)
12 pm - Ultrasound treatment (5-15 minutes)
5 pm - Ultrasound treatment (5-15 minutes)
9 pm – Inferno Wrap™ treatment (30-45 minutes)
The treatment protocols are recommended to achieve maximum results. However, if you are only able to fulfill part of the daily treatment schedule you will still see effective results.
MendMeShop Night Splint Treatment
Review all instructions before using these products.
Night Splint With Tread
- Place foot in splint with knee in flexed position to achieve the desired degree of dorsiflexion.
- Attach the ankle strap. Adjust the length of the Velcro until comfortable. Do not over tighten the straps
- If numbness, tingling or other discomfort is experienced, loosen straps until comfortable. If either of these symptoms persists, contact your medical professional. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the foot strap.
- Extend the knee to check the tightness of the ankle and foot straps. Adjust Velcro as needed. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the calf strap.
- Dorsiflexion assist straps may be gradually adjusted to increase or decrease foot angle. Incremental adjustment may be necessary if discomfort is experienced. Do not walk while wearing splint without approval from your medical professional.
Dorsal Night Splint
- Place foot in bottom foot loop of the splint.
- Velcro the upper strap to a comfortable fit around your calf.
- Adjust the dorsal flexion straps around your foot to achieve a comfortable stretch. Do not over tighten the straps
- If numbness, tingling or other discomfort is experienced, loosen straps until comfortable. If either of these symptoms persists, contact your medical professional.
- Extend the knee to check the tightness of the calf and foot straps. Incremental adjustment may be necessary if discomfort is experienced.
- Do not walk while wearing splint without approval from your medical professional.
Consult your doctor before beginning any treatments.
Do you have more questions?
If you have any questions regarding our therapeutic products and your treatment options, please contact a MendMeShop Advisor for assistance. You can be assured all your questions will be answered in a thorough and courteous manner by our trained staff.
Within Continental US and Canada call toll 1-866-237-9608
International Callers 705-445-3505
Email us at email@example.com.
We strive to answer all emails within 24 hours. Often you will receive a response sooner.
Our Office Hours
Monday to Friday 8:00am to 8:00pm (Eastern Standard Time)
Saturday and Sunday 11:00am to 6:00pm (Eastern Standard Time)